We visited some friends in Maryland for Presidents’ Day weekend and I knew I wanted to bring some sort of treat for everyone. And since it was Presidents’ Day, it had to be something patriotic. I figured what is more American than apple pie? I found a recipe for mini apple pies on Citronlimette.com, a new cooking blog blog I came across. Overall, they came out great. I just made a few changes to the recipe for future use (such as using less water and salt in the dough).
I doubled the amount of dough for the same amount of filling because really the crust is the best part of the pie. I wanted to be sure I had enough to make a nice and thick crust. When making the dough, I found the best way to mash the cold butter into the flour was to use a potato masher.
The apple filling was perfect. After letting it sit a bit I noticed there was a lot of juice on the bottom of the bowl. After I filled each crust with the apples, I spooned some of the juice on top.
The finished product was really cute, and the perfect bite-sized snack.
- For the dough
- 2 cups of flour
- 12 TBSP butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 2 TBSP ice water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp white sugar
- For the filling
- 4 apples
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 TBSP flour
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mash the butter into the dough using a potato masher until completely combined.
- Using an electric mixer, add the salt and sugar and then the water until a dough begins to form. Knead the dough until it is completely smooth. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into very small pieces. Then combine the white sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, flour, and vanilla into a large bowl. Add the apples to the mixture and stir until completely combined.
- Take 3/4 of the dough and roll it out on a floured surface. Cut 3.5-inch circles with a cookie cutter and place inside cupcake tins lightly sprayed with Pam. Poke holes at the bottom of the dough with a fork.
- Fill each crust with a few spoonfuls of apple filling and spoon some of the juice on top.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut 3-inch circles of dough using a cookie cutter. Then cut strips from these circles and place them on top of the pies in a lattice pattern.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from cupcake tin.