I have found perfection, and it is in the form of this cream cheese frosting recipe I found online from Wicked Good Kitchen. I find most frosting with cream cheese ends up being too sweet and doesn’t really hold up for piping. This one is mostly butter, and it both tastes and looks perfect. I used it to make the Merry Christmas Eve cake I posted a few days ago.
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 8-ounce package of Philadelphia cream cheese, chilled
- 2 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 to 4 1/2 cups of confectioner’s sugar
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy.
- Add cream cheese and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
- Gradually increase mixer speed to high and beat until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl when necessary with a rubber spatula.
- Gradually add the 4 cups of confectioner’s sugar until the frosting is the desired consistency. Beat on high for 1-2 minutes until it is completely smooth.